I am an award-winning writer and editor committed to powerful storytelling and clear communication. Whether it's a book, 2,500-word magazine feature on health care or one-page press release, I have the experience and resourcefulness to focus the narrative and make issues come alive so readers are engaged and informed.
As a writer and reporter for major U.S. newspapers – including The Boston Globe, Miami Herald, and The Washington Post, I covered news and feature stories and covered major breaking events from Hurricane Andrew and the crash of TWA Flight 800 to 9/11 and the Roman Catholic Church clergy sexual abuse crisis. I also have contributed to The Economist, Boston Magazine, NPR, The Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, MSN.com, National Geographic News, Slate, This Old House, The San Francisco Chronicle, PBS' Frontline, and The Daily Mail, among others.
Throughout my careeer, I have written about everything from politics, crime, natural disasters, and neuroscience to travel, the environment, foreign affairs, and parenting. My freelance work is equally varied for companies, academic institutions, and nonprofits that I do not cover as a journalist (due to conflict of interest) and includes writing and editing press releases, newsletters, brochures, and social media content.
In addition, I am co-author of “Three Wishes: A True Story of Good Friends, Crushing Heartbreak, and Astonishing Luck on Our Way to Love and Motherhood,” a triple memoir published by Little, Brown & Co. in North America and in five other countries (U.K., France, Holland, Poland, Brazil) with film rights sold.
I studied science, health and technology (along with criminal law and astronomy) as a Knight Science Journalism Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, joining 10 other journalists selected from the U.S. and abroad. I also have taught journalism, writing, editing, and publishing as an adjunct professor and lecturer at Emerson College, Boston University, DePaul University and Lake Forest College.
My academic background includes an M.S. in Journalism from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, an M.A. from the University of London, and B.A.s from Tufts University.
- Co-author of "Three Wishes: A True Story of Good Friends, Crushing Heartbreak, and Amazing Luck on Our Way to Love and Motherhood" (Little, Brown & Co. with foreign rights sold in five other countries and film rights sold.)
- Contributor to National Geographic News, The Economist, Slate, The Boston Globe Magazine, Huffington Post, etc.
- New England correspondent for The Washington Post. (National News Desk, Pulitzer Prize for 9/11 coverage.)
- Reporter for The Boston Globe. (Metro Desk.)
- Reporter for The Miami Herald. (Metro Desk; Newspaper-wide Pulitzer Prize for Hurricane Andrew; Pulitzer finalist team member for coverage of "Baby Theresa.")
- Adjunct professor/lecturer in journalism, editing, publishing and writing at Boston University, Emerson College DePaul University, and Lake Forest College.
- Associate producer for NPR in Boston for "The Connection" and "On Point."